Named for the intense geothermal activity within its boundaries, the Hell’s Gate National Park is a remarkable quarter of the Great Rift Valley. Spectacular scenery including the towering cliffs, water-gouged gorges, stark rock towers, scrub clad volcanoes and belching plumes of geothermal steam make it one of the most atmospheric Parks in Africa. Hell’s Gate is an ideal venue for a day cycling trip from Nairobi where, in addition to the bio-diversity that includes raptors, visitors can enjoy rock climbing and a natural spa. Following the buffalo cycling circuit (named after the ferocious herbivores that roam parts of the park), one gets a stunning view of Lake Naivasha below, Mt. Longonot and Mount Suswa on the Eastern side of the park. There are Maasai manyattas within the park as well and you can pass by a talented metal-smith’s shop or the beadworks market for a souvenir.
- Perfect for Cross Country/Leisure riders who love the expansive outdoors
- 5hr drive from Nairobi
- One of the only few National Parks in Kenya that allows cycling
- Dirt road tracks accessible all through the year
- What to see: Herds of giraffes, zebras, antelopes, buffalos and ostriches; Fischer’s and Central Towers, Ol Njorowa Gorge, Ol Karia Geothermal Vents/Plant, Natural Geothermal Spa; Great views of the Lake Naivasha and the bordering flower farms
- Rides can range from 2 to 5 hours of riding (15 – 40km)
|WEAR||Comfortable athletic/cycling clothing, helmet, gloves and sunscreen lotion.|
|Transfer From Nairobi||No, Yes|
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review