The Kereita Forest at the southern-most end of the Aberdare Range has many interesting cycling trails and features like the Kereita Cave and Waterfall. The forest is also the site of the Lari Massacre (1953) unmarked mass graves where over 5,000 victims of revenge attacks on the local population by the British colonial administration were buried. A cycling tour in this forest is thus an adventure through history and back to the present. Following on the footprints of several marathoners who have run the annual Lari Marathon, stamp your own mark on the grassy trails as you wound your way in and out of dense tropical forests. There is also a purpose-built cycling trail, mostly single track, that will get your heart pumping with exhilaration. And in case you feel more adventurous, take a zipline trip gliding above the tree canopies. Meals are available at The Forest’s Restaurant overlooking the distant Aberdare Ranges.
- Perfect for intermediate and experienced cyclists with a knack for climbs and steep descends
- 45 minute drive from Nairobi
- Lots of jeep tracks, single tracks, grassy trails, steep climbs and descends
- Trails are accessible all through the year except during the heavy rains (always confirm with us before booking)
- What to see: High tree canopies, great view of the Aberdare Ranges on a clear day, the Lari Massacre mass graves (though unmarked), possible elephant spotting and waterfall on Gatamaiyu River
- Tours can range from 2 to 4 hours of riding (15 – 35km)
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||The Forest Adventure Center|
|DEPARTURE TIME||8.30 AM and 12.30 PM|
|RETURN TIME||12.30 PM and 5.30 PM|
|WEAR||Comfortable athletic/cycling clothing, helmet, gloves and sunscreen lotion.|
|Transfer From Nairobi||No, Yes|
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review